Wednesday 25 September 2013

Kristian Gidlund 1983-2013

Kristian Gidlund, swedish musician and writer, passed away a week ago. He died from cancer at the age of 29. I didn't know him, but his blog about the last year's struggles have been a regular reading for me (and many others) for some time now. I will miss his writing very much. Here is a short excerpt translated to english, written by Kristian as a letter to the child he will never have:

The most beautiful, wonderful child. We will never meet. But I love you anyway. I have from the first time I came to think of you. I’ve missed you since. Missed holding you. Sharing secrets. Laughing and crying. Playing on summer meadows and running through storms. We’d probably talk a lot, even if initially I would do most of the babbling. We would talk about everything. In a borderless fashion. I hope, anyway. I would listen to your conclusions – amazing ones – and I would lose my breath over how you use your senses. Because I know that you would be a magical child. I would do my best to answer your questions and listen to your concerns, and I know you would do the same for me. I would encourage you to try things yourself. Because you do can more than you think. Never forget that. And if someone says something is impossible: listen up. That’s when you should use the primordial force that is in your chest. You have great things ahead of you. Don’t think otherwise. 

I will miss you dearly Kristian, though your writing will stay with me as long as I live.

If you want to read more, you can always try google translate with his blog http://ikroppenmin.blogspot.se, but the more poetic dimension of his writing probably won't translate very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment